Thursday, July 29, 2010

Beautiful Bounty

I have heard others speak of going to a farmer's market and thought, who would seriously want to go shop somewhere where you are only buying vegetables that could comfortably be bought at my local grocery, in the air conditioning with all the other things that I needed to buy on my list. But it wasn't until I went that I realized the variety of items you could purchase. The biggest pull of course is the local produce, but there are also, free-range meats, homemade jams, scratch made pastries, bagels, breads, local honey, flowers, local maple syrup, and items made all from beeswax.

What is great, is that I have pretty much replaced my grocery store shopping with the farmer's market. I have only bought a few items from the store the past few weeks to supplement my menu plans.

Below is a picture of the beautiful bounty I brought home left to right, front to back:
garlic, green tomato, red tomato, hot peppers, green tomato, beets, asiago cheese bagels, zucchini, yellow squash, free-range ground beef, 2 dozen ears corn


Since my kiddos were spending the night at grandma's, a big plate of veggies was perfect for dinner. Roasted beets, sautéed yellow squash & zucchini with garlic and fresh tomato with balsamic vinegar.


The tomato was so flavorful with the balsamic vinegar & fresh cracked pepper. But, some of the vinegar leaked over to the beet side of the plate and that did not make the beets taste good to me. A tiny drizzle of local honey made it better.



Do I usually eat a plate of just veggies for dinner? No. But I figured since I had an ice cream cone for lunch that this was probably my best choice. LOL! Some day I will learn, but I'm doing better than I was before.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to go to the market. I went every week when we lived in pitts. there is nothing like local home grown veggies and fruit. My problem is staying away from the baked items and pastries..Enjoy all the goodness.

    ReplyDelete