Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Vegas


I recently took a 3 day trip to Las Vegas. I had been there before with my husband, but this time I went with my bff. It's great to just get away with your best friend no matter where you go, but the electric energy of Vegas kept us going and we had a really great time together. Below are just some random thoughts from different points in my trip.

Flights
  • People on planes who take up their seat plus 2/3 of yours should be required to pay for 2 seats or my massage the following day to unlock my "S" shaped spine from sitting like a contortionist for an hour and a half.
  • Four hours strapped in a seat requires more than an all natural stress reliever. Sedate Me!!
  • Flying by myself makes me feel like singing Elton John's Rocket Man.
  • You don't need to be in an accident to get whiplash. Just watch the people around you sleeping on the plane.
  • Flight attendants asking me if I want cookies or pretzels with my water makes me feel like I'm back in pre-school. And that makes me smile.
  • Breathing Basil Oil* on a plane is frowned upon by some. "Sir, I promise you, this is not an illegal substance."
Shopping
  • When staying in Vegas, a 24-hour bus pass is worth its weight in gold.
  • When shopping on vacation, be sure to ask the people who know you best if you are making a heinous mistake when purchasing a hat. By the way... I'm still loving mine :)
  • $900 for a scarf is unacceptable.
  • I must have an accent. People kept asking me if I was Canadian.
Drinking
  • "Bring me something fun" is a great way to order a drink. By the time dinner was served, there were 8 more "something funs" peppered down the length of the table and I was deemed brilliant. Brilliant but sober, I didn't even make a dent in it.
  • There's always one of these in each group- the obnoxious person who drinks excessively and becomes monumentally obnoxious. Then there's the one who drinks too much and throws up down the front of her dress while waiting for the show to start but is too drunk to realize she should leave so the rest of us don't have to smell her nastiness. Sorry... was that last one too specific.
Personal
  • People in Vegas don't stare at my hair. There's more entertaining things to look at.
  • Sitting, drinking coffee, and watching life is a delectable way to spend a morning.
  • I saw an elderly woman with spunky hair, a great top and black leather pants sitting in the same open air cafe as me. When she stood up to throw away her trash, she had white velcro athletic shoes, oxygen tubes and a walker. This is a possible glimpse of me in 40 years- minus the oxygen :)
  • Sitting at a vanity to apply make-up makes me feel pampered.
  • A lighted, magnifying  facial mirror should not be made available to people over the age of 35. BAD!
  • P.F. Chang's Kung Pao Shrimp is still a good idea at 3:00am.
  • Making people in the service industry smile is an art form best left to those people who have charm, not those who are naturally offensive.
  • I love that human creation can bring me to tears by the sheer beauty.
  • BFF's don't require a lot to have the time of their lives.
  • I appreciate more fully the relationship that has grown over the years between my husband and I. Love, respect, understanding, honesty & transparency.
It was a wonderful trip with amazing sites and awesome times of interaction. I made new friends and reconnected with old ones. I missed my husband and my kids and was greeted with hugs, kisses and flowers. I'm still catching up on sleep and getting back in the swing of things a little more slowly than I anticipated. I guess that's what it's all about in Vegas... go till your legs fall off and you can't keep your eyes open. You can always sleep at home. I am presently signing off to take a delicious nap :)

*Basil Oil- Basil essential oil is a natural antibacterial. Take a folded tissue and tap out some of the oil on the tissue. Put it in a snack size zip top plastic storage bag. When you are on the plane, pull it out and inhale deeply through your nose, hold the breath as long as you can and then exhale slowly through your mouth. Do this as often as you like. The essence of the oil will cleanse your nasal passages and the air in your lungs. This is also a good idea to do each time you return to your hotel room from being in large crowds. This practice has kept me from getting sick on any trip that has required plane travel where you are forced to breathe recycled air.

No comments:

Post a Comment